TasteToronto | This university student is breaking the misconception of 'good and bad' foods with her home bakery business

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.

View our Privacy Policy

News

This university student is breaking the misconception of 'good and bad' foods with her home bakery business

This university student is breaking the misconception of 'good and bad' foods with her home bakery business

This university student is breaking the misconception of 'good and bad' foods with her home bakery business

Being healthy doesn't have to mean breaking the bank for food that's organic or vegan.

Doris Yeh, the founder of Katcha Baked Goods, is on a mission to dish out treats that are delicious while maintaining a healthy nutritional value. Yeh is a university student with a passion for baking and a love for wellness. In the Spring of 2020, when the pandemic was relatively new, she realized how important it was to maintain a healthy lifestyle, even while stuck indoors. Unsatisfied with the portrayal of good versus bad food by the media, she took to studying nutrition and quickly recognized there was a huge misconception of how we think we need to eat to feel healthy.

"People say chocolate is a bad food, so you shouldn't eat chocolate, or that apples are good food, so you should only eat apples. Well, I think there is no such thing as good or bad food," said Yeh. "People think if you are going to eat organic, that you have to only eat organic food all day, but the reality is, for most people that's just not a feasible option."

The idea of Katcha Baked Goods came about when Yeh caught on to the pandemic's home-baking trend and wanted to make food that her friends and family would love to eat. After playing around with some recipes comprised mostly of oats, plant-based milk, fruits and brown sugar, Yeh developed a line of goodies that she is proud of and thinks will resonate with goodie-lovers and foodies alike.

The main focus of the bakery is the "seventy-thirty" rule, where 70 per cent of the product's ingredients are on the healthier side, while the remaining 30 per cent are reserved for a little more indulgence. Yeh's baked goods are not completely organic, however they still promote a sustainable and healthy lifestyle that allows for a treat (or two) when you need it most.

As a student, she was often relying on highly-caffeinated drinks and goodies to start her day, so one of her first creations was the Double Double Mocha Cookie, jam-packed with caffeine for those early mornings or long nights of studying. Yeh's personal favourite, however, is the Salted Peanut Butter Banana Cookie, reminiscent of the Chunky Monkey ice cream flavour by Ben & Jerry's.

For now, Yeh will be exclusively baking cookies and blondies, but is in the process of developing more recipes for the future, like tiramisu and apple crumble bars.

Orders for Katcha Baked Goods can be placed online using this form, and will be available for pick-up every Wednesday to Friday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at 75 St. Nicholas Street. For general inquires, feel free to DM Yeh on Instagram, where you will also find the order link in her bio.

Tags:

Toronto home business

Toronto Bakery

Doris Yeh

Katcha Baked Goods

This university student is breaking the misconception of 'good and bad' foods with her home bakery business

News

8 days ago

This university student is breaking the misconception of 'good and bad' foods with her home bakery business

Jordan Shore

Jordan Shore

Instagram

Being healthy doesn't have to mean breaking the bank for food that's organic or vegan.

Doris Yeh, the founder of Katcha Baked Goods, is on a mission to dish out treats that are delicious while maintaining a healthy nutritional value. Yeh is a university student with a passion for baking and a love for wellness. In the Spring of 2020, when the pandemic was relatively new, she realized how important it was to maintain a healthy lifestyle, even while stuck indoors. Unsatisfied with the portrayal of good versus bad food by the media, she took to studying nutrition and quickly recognized there was a huge misconception of how we think we need to eat to feel healthy.

"People say chocolate is a bad food, so you shouldn't eat chocolate, or that apples are good food, so you should only eat apples. Well, I think there is no such thing as good or bad food," said Yeh. "People think if you are going to eat organic, that you have to only eat organic food all day, but the reality is, for most people that's just not a feasible option."

The idea of Katcha Baked Goods came about when Yeh caught on to the pandemic's home-baking trend and wanted to make food that her friends and family would love to eat. After playing around with some recipes comprised mostly of oats, plant-based milk, fruits and brown sugar, Yeh developed a line of goodies that she is proud of and thinks will resonate with goodie-lovers and foodies alike.

The main focus of the bakery is the "seventy-thirty" rule, where 70 per cent of the product's ingredients are on the healthier side, while the remaining 30 per cent are reserved for a little more indulgence. Yeh's baked goods are not completely organic, however they still promote a sustainable and healthy lifestyle that allows for a treat (or two) when you need it most.

As a student, she was often relying on highly-caffeinated drinks and goodies to start her day, so one of her first creations was the Double Double Mocha Cookie, jam-packed with caffeine for those early mornings or long nights of studying. Yeh's personal favourite, however, is the Salted Peanut Butter Banana Cookie, reminiscent of the Chunky Monkey ice cream flavour by Ben & Jerry's.

For now, Yeh will be exclusively baking cookies and blondies, but is in the process of developing more recipes for the future, like tiramisu and apple crumble bars.

Orders for Katcha Baked Goods can be placed online using this form, and will be available for pick-up every Wednesday to Friday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at 75 St. Nicholas Street. For general inquires, feel free to DM Yeh on Instagram, where you will also find the order link in her bio.

Tags:

Toronto home business

Toronto Bakery

Doris Yeh

Katcha Baked Goods